Creature Features
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horror Cinema From Around The World

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Zornow

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-10-19

WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS Empty
PostSubject: WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS   WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Quote :
War of the Gargantuas, released in Japan as Frankenstein no Kaijū: Sanda tai Gaira (フランケンシュタインの怪獣 サンダ対ガイラ Furankenshutain no Kaijū: Sanda tai Gaira?, lit. "Frankenstein's Monsters: Sanda Versus Gaira"), is a 1966 daikaiju eiga (giant-monster movie), and a semisequel to Frankenstein Conquers the World. It introduces two giant, hairy humanoids called Gargantuas, which spawned from the discarded cells of Frankenstein's monster from the previous film and are described as brothers. The Green Gargantua is violent and savage, preying upon human beings; as he lives in sea water, he is given the name Gaira (ガイラ - from kai (or gai, for "stranger")), corresponding to Japanese characters for "sea"). The Brown Gargantua had been raised in captivity, and is docile and gentle; because he resides in the Japan Alps, he is called Sanda (サンダ, from san, "mountain"). The film follows the investigation and military engagements of these creatures until their climatic confrontation in Tokyo.
Several ambiguous references are made to Frankenstein Conquers the World, but the only direct link between the films is the term "Frankenstein", which appears in the title and is used to refer to the Gargantuas ("Frankensteins") in the original (Japanese) dialogue. Like the previous film, which starred Nick Adams, War of the Gargantuas features a Hollywood actor (Russ Tamblyn) in the lead as a scientist, Kumi Mizuno as his colleague, and another Japanese scientist (previously Tadao Takashima, here Kenji Sahara). The similar casting has led to speculation that the film was intended to feature recurring characters. Eiji Tsuburaya helmed the special effects crew with monster suit actor Haruo Nakajima portraying the antagonistic Gaira.
The movie itself is rather vague as to where (if at all) War of the Gargantuas falls in regard to the continuity of Toho's other kaiju films, or even if it should be considered a canonical part of the Godzilla franchise. In 2002's Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, however, specific reference to the Gargantuas is made, indicating that (in this variation on Godzilla continuity, in any case) War of the Gargantuas is considered by Toho to be a legitimate part of the Godzilla universe.

Just bought this dvd 2-pack that comes with RODAN. I had an old vhs boot of the Japanese version, and after watching only the first 10 minutes of the US release have found startling differences between the two movies, ( namely much more of Russ Tamblyn's doctor character inserted into scenes he does not appear in the original version.

Anyay A MOST BAD ASS MONSTER MOVIE! Probably some of THE VERY BEST miniature /model work Toho has ever made, as well as some of the MOST incredible monster brawling city destruction scenes, this one is LITERALLY FLAWLESS!
A GREAT sequal to Frankenstein vs Baragon!
Back to top Go down
Nev

Nev

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS   WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 10:17 am

yea i picked that up as well, i still gotta watch it though!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nevfuck
witchfinder

witchfinder

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-10-19

PostSubject: Re: WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS   WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 9:24 pm

Great movie. I love job they've been doing with the old Toho classics.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/chisoxmetalhead
Wolvesblood
Admin
Wolvesblood

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS   WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 11:07 am

Total gem of a release, I received one for Christmas, and had a lot of fun with this, especially WotG, which I had not seen since I was a wee little one. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/faminerecords
DeathROT Maniac

DeathROT Maniac

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS   WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 11:16 pm

Got the double feature as well. War of the Gargantuas RULES!!!!

Man I gotta watch that fucker again!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS   WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Creature Features :: Horror Genres :: Monster Mash-
Jump to: